Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Why I love "The Good Wife"

Heartthrob

Watching The Good Wife legal thriller on CBS is one of my guilty pleasures. I got sucked into the drama and fashion five years ago. This week's new episode is one of my favorite, yet.

Actress Julianna Marguiles portrays the star character Alicia Florrick. The media (in the show) refer to her as Saint Alicia since she stands by her man after a public sex scandal episode guide. In a flashback on Sunday, she describes herself to heart throb Will as a "Wife, mother, and disgraced spouse."

Alicia moved her family out of their North Shore home when her husband served time in jail for prostitution. Chris Noth or "Mr. Big" from Sex in the City is cast as her husband. She rents an amazing space in Lincoln Park/Old Town. I wish my wardrobe looked like hers!

Although I'm very grateful to not have my own legal or romantic drama, I ride the roller coaster with The Guide Wife every episode. Even though I continued my career after our sons were born, I empathize with the challenges she faces after opting-out of the work force.

Alicia did not practice law for over ten years when she took care of her children full-time. When she returned to law, she had to toughen up to help support her family after her husband ascended the local political latter. She tries the impossible act of balancing it all.

She's reunited with an old law school romance, Will Gardner, played by Josh Charles. She breaks through her law firm's glass ceiling to partner in four years as a working mom. It's exciting to now see Alicia start her own firm, which parallels what many are doing in today's tough market.

Alicia spoke in Sunday's episode about "Opting Out" to a large audience. She shared how she unintentionally tried to talk her potential employer out of hiring her. That's naturally not something that interests those in a different place, which prompted many to leave during her speech. That magnified how women's issues are not supported.

The speech advises other women not to feel entitled. She cautions that they will be he held to a higher standard. Women must be prepared to work harder to prove themselves.

Alicia still impressed potential clients. She honestly answers a million dollar question after a few drinks.

Q: "What do you want?"

Alicia: "To be happy and control my fate."

Sigh, if only it were that easy, but cheers to that honest and philosophical answer.

The Good Wife scores more points for staging last week's episode around the American Bar Association (my employer) and their Annual Meeting. It realistically depicts a bar association event down to the name tags and fact that the audience wants to hear personal stories. I also loved the digital evidence issue.

What do you think makes a good wife? My only wish for this show is to see more Chicago footage...

No comments:

Post a Comment